Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hair: Natural vs. Relaxed.

Today I had a different inspiration... hair. For weeks now I've been trying to figure out what my next style is. I miss long hair and it's versatility but I do love my new cut. I love that I can change my hair and in a moments notice I can unveil a new parallel to my being (that was deep lol). I've been going back and forth about going natural (which is no joke), dying my hair a strawberry blonde/red, or staying black and getting an 18 inch weave. Now this may all seem confusing or a bit much but to those who know me... this is just typical Des.

With all my indecisive ways I have to come to a point where I asked myself... why is my hair so important? Why does my hair affect how I think people perceive and receive me? Most importantly... why do I care what other people think about MY hair?

A huge discussion within the African-American community about relaxed vs. natural hair has been going on for a few years now. I think an African-American woman with natural hair is beautiful. They have taken a big step , especially if they transitioned, to declare that are no long going to subject themselves to chemical processing. My only problem is when women who are natural down talk women who continue relaxing their hair. I think it is a matter of carrying the persona of your choice whether chemically treated or not. I have seen 'tow up' natural hair and 'a hot mess' relaxed hair lol. I am a firm believer there isn't one that is better than the other, its just a matter of preference. A matter of what makes you feel good when you wake up and look in the mirror. A matter of when a few hairs may be out of place but you still feel as flyy as you did the moment you left the hairdressers chair.

I think it all sums up to how you feel about yourself. How good you feel when you've expressed yourself through your appearance. There is no one way to define the way people should look... In that case God would have made us all the same. Represent yourself in the way you feel.. natural, relaxed, maybe even half and half if you can pull it off (I don't recommend it though) lol. Have a great day and continue loving yourself in your own skin!

2 comments:

  1. Why not go natural under the weave. Braids make transitioning easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Des! I'm natural and wear my hair straight one day and in an afro next. . .it all depends on the way I'm feeling from day to day

    ReplyDelete